- "....using his strength. And that is his strength, his strength."
- "A tremendous strike which hit the defender full on the arm - and
it nearly came off."
- "Argentina are the second-best team in the world, and there's no
higher praise than that."
- "Chile have three options - they could win or they could lose."
- "Despite his white boots, he has real pace and agression."
- "England can end the millennium as it started - as the greatest
football nation in the world."
- "England have the best fans in the world and Scotland's fans are
second to none."
- "Gary has always weighed up his options, especially when he had
- "Goalkeepers aren't born today until they're in their late 20s or
30s and sometimes not even then. Or so it would appear. To me
anyway. Don't you think the same?"
- "He can't speak Turkey, but you can see he's delighted."
- "I came to Nantes two years ago and it's much the same today,
except that it's totally different."
- "I don't think there's anyone bigger or smaller than Maradona"
- "I know what is around the corner. I just don't know where the
- "I think Ron will be pulling him off at half time and no
- "I'd love to be a mole on the wall in the Liverpool dressing room
at half time."
- "I'm not disappointed - just disappointed."
- "In some ways cramp is worse than having a broken leg."
- "It's like a toaster, the ref's shirt pocket. Every time there's
a tackle, up pops a yellow card. I'm talking metaphysically now of
- "That decision, for me, was almost certainly definitely wrong."
- "That would have been a goal if it wasn't saved."
- "The 33 and 34 year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the World
Cup comes around, if they're not careful."
- "The game has gone rather scrappy as both sides realise they
could win this match or lose it or draw it even."
- "The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very
early in the game."
- "The ref was vertically 15 yards away. He has a moustache."
- "The substitute is about to come on - he's a player who was left
out of the starting line-up today. There were others as well."
- "The tide is very much in our court now."
- "There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight."
- "They compare Steve McManaman to Steve Heighway and he's nothing
like him, but I can see why - it's because he's a bit different."
- "You can't do better than go away from home and get a draw."
- "You'd think the Cameroonians would have learnt their lesson by
now. You can't get very far with such brutal tackles. It's just not
cricket you know."
- "You'd think the Moroccans would have learnt their lesson by now.
You can't win games without scoring goals."